Saturday, May 8, 2010

Saebo

Two years ago, Blondie's OT and PT went to a training session for Saebo (http://www.saebo.com/). They thought it had a lot of potential for her, but she was big enough at that time, so they used the last two years to develop other muscle groups to support her shoulder and upper arm better, and we actually started to see the thumb move, and some finger movement.

This past week her PT asked if we were interested in being a volunteer for the class so other therapists could learn to use it with patients. I was interested, but OT wasn't sure she was big enough yet, so after some back and forth, we ended up there today. Thankfully both OT and PT went to make sure it was done well so as not to hurt any progress, and I was thankful they gave up their Saturday to be with us.

The first thing the group of OT's did was to fit one to her, and modify it to fit her hand. They used the Saebo reach, and the pediatric digi caps - which were still big, so they lined them with a pad to take some space. After everything was adjusted and she started working, the camera died (wouldn't you know) but thankfully Kathy (PT) was taking video, and my SAINT of an "aunt" brought me batteries AND another camera (then she posted 7 videos to youtube for me).

They gave Blondie a break, and then the second round started. Her hand was a little tired, but I caught some good video. She was able to hold the balls, but only after we switched to foam balls, or slightly smaller ones.





I was pleased overall, but still have many questions. Does the movement stay with her as she grows, or do we eventually lose it? How am I supposed to manage two 45 minute sessions a day with a kid who will get tired of it? There was a lot of refitting done the second time she put it on, how am I supposed to do it, and how will I know if its wrong? There are some real possibilities in the use of this device, but it really is for specific kind of people. It was developed for stroke patients, and it has really taken 5 years of therapy for Blondie to be prepared for it, so not just every hemi kid can use it, so I can't recommend it as the coolest thing to use. I think we'll move forward with it and be a guinea pig for awhile. The next step is to order her own, and see how much insurance will cover (not much, I've been told), but I'm leaning toward making it happen anyway. Brian was very impressed with today's video, and Blondie was very excited about the possibilities, I just hope the enthusiasm lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment