Friday, May 7, 2010

Then other days, the sun is blinding

I promised that I would be back in the land of positive outlook within a day ---- it actually took two. Today, Blondie brought home the final report of MAP scores.




Here's the low- down: MAP is based on percentiles, not percentages. This essentially means that it shows a ranking out of 100 people performing at the same level on the test. The test is one in which as a person answers a question correctly it bumps them up to more difficult levels, and if incorrect lowers the level. If you read the yellow worksheet on the left it shows that she started the year at 1 percentile in reading - meaning that 99 were better, and then ended the year at 7th percentile (now 93 are better). Yes, I'm still hurting, wishing I knew how to help her brain wire the reading skills. The right hand side HOWEVER, shows she started the year at 14th percentile in math (86 better) and ended the year at 97th percentile (3 better).


I was of course elated, but again shocked. I expected her to perform around the 50th percentile, as that is average, and since she is usually on grade level and not above 50th makes sense. So, I'm thrilled, but the analytical teacher in me is left pondering how this works for her.



Yes, her teacher is truly one of the best I've ever seen - she immediately "got it" when it came to our attitude about dealing with keeping things normal, and not helping. She understood MUCH quicker than others that we want a fiercely independent kid in as many areas as possible. One of my colleagues mentioned that her husband saw Blondie in the cafeteria the other day trying to balance her tray at lunch w ith one hand, and still some how scoop out what she wanted. He wanted so badly to jump in, but knew through the grapevine that she had to work it out. He was impressed with her figuring out how to do it with one hand, and when relating it to his wife she reminded him that this was my kid, so she didn't have a choice.


BUT, is it truly a left brain (logical mathematical)/right brain (creativity, reading) "thing" at work, I'm doubting it. With that logic she wouldn't be singing constantly, or painting everything (hemi friends know the table story). I really think she just has stronger connections in her brain, for whatever reason, at this period in time. I don't know that this will hold forever, but who knows - I was hoping for 50th percentile and look what she did.


Repercussions: Well, I need a plan for summer. I'm going to start in on multiplication early because she is already talking about it constantly (must be starting it in math, but I know 3rd grade is the real starting point). As for reading, we're going to do it constantly, and I think I'm going to make it science based because that is her interest, and use a lot of drawing, and art to help her express herself visually to use as a reminder what she wants to write and communicate. Then we'll read some more, and continue to work on a few contextual strategies to help her gain meaning. Any other ideas?



This is one big roller coaster ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment