Sunday, September 26, 2010

ABC order

Some things with Blondie just don't make sense. We've come across a new phenomenon with her lately. I'm not sure if its something new with her brain, or the fact that she is growing, or something with her eyes. I know she takes information in and flips it around a few times before it "lands" in the correct place, but I've only seen this kind of reversing issue when we've had her physically build something, never with her writing.

Example 1


She is supposed to copy the word from the list and place each word in alphabetical order. Last year we would do this on index cards so she could physically manipulate them, but apparently that isn't what this year's teacher is doing. So this paper looks like she can do it just fine......

Example 2

In the same pile of papers coming home is this other example. This paper clearly shows some issue. All of the correct letters are there but obviously out of order. I don't know if this example of her processing worries me the most, or if its the fact that this was sent home without anyone working on it with her.

When I asked her about it she said, "Oh, I did that one wrong."

Me: "Oh, okay, what's wrong with it?"

Blondie: "I didn't put them in alphabetical order."
Me: "mmmhmmmm.. (I hadn't noticed that because I was freaking out about the spelling thing) so, how can we fix it?"

Blondie: "Well, I have to look at the first letter and think about my ABC's."

Me: "Okay. Tell me what the first word is...?" She looks at it says, "after" and walks away.


So she can tell me what it is, but doesn't recognize the letter issue. I'm going to have to research this and come up with a plan for home. Meanwhile, we meet on Thursday because she has finally qualified for resource help in reading. I'm sure I'll post more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment